Monday, June 11, 2007

Guangzhou - Day Two


The big day. After wandering around the City - in the steamiest hottest weather I've ever experienced - we met our guide at the hotel at 3:00 to drive to the civil affairs office about twenty minutes away. The agency prepared us for this initial meeting right before we left and emphasized that we should expect anything. Sometimes a child Song Song's age (2 1/2) will cry and fight to stay with her caregivers (nannies), which apparently is a good thing. It means that the child has formed an attachment to someone and will therefore be able to form attachments to others. It's not a good sign if the child is indifferent to being transferred from one caregiver to another. We were also told that the child will likely form an initial attachment to one parent and not the other. Mothers don't accept being the "ignored" parent as easily as the father, according to the agency's experience.

We drove through Middle Earth to get to the civil affairs office. I wish I could post the pictures I took of this otherworldly place. If any of you saw "Blade Runner" in the 1980's you'll recall scenes of industrial wastelands, ghettos, and machinery in the midst of abject poverty. This is what I mean by Middle Earth.

We pulled into an alley that fed directly into a clean, modern office building, and took the elevator up. We waited on couches in a large white room for the caregivers (they call them "nannies") to bring Song Song to us. Through an open door that led to an ordinary office, we saw her toddling around after her nanny, and immediately recognized her from the pictures and short video we were given, so we started calling after her. She ran to the door and slammed it shut, happily.

A few minutes later Song Song toddled to us accompanied by two nannies, stopped a few feet in front of us, and stared. One nanny said something in Chinese, and gently pushed her toward us, which made her cry. She stamped her foot, threw the candy her nanny had given her on the ground and shook her head, "no." So the nanny gave us some cereal and crackers to offer her. She let us feed her and within ten minutes, she was laughing and dancing and the nannies were able to slip away without a dramatic good-bye.

Song Song is robust and healthy, nearly as big as Georgia was at her age, completely potty-trained, and very, very pretty. It is clear to us that she's received much better care than many 2 1/2 year olds who live with their parents.

After 1/2 hour or after we met Song Song, it was time to leave with her. She took my husband's hand, holding onto his index finger. I tried to hold her other hand and she shook her head, "no," a little more violently than I was comfortable with. She sat on his lap for the entire drive back to the hotel and wouldn't let him out of her sight. Despite her obvious attachment to my husband, she wasn't indifferent to Georgia and me, she just wouldn't let us hold her. A few hours later, however, when we walked to the grocery store to get some things for Song Song to eat, she allowed me to hold her hand, but if my husband turned a corner out of view, she violently tugged at my hand until she saw him again.

We spent the rest of the evening in the hotel room playing with her and she grew more and more comfortable, so that by bed time she fell asleep in my husband's arms.

Things we learned about Song Song the first day: she doesn't like to take her shoes off; she loves to laugh and laughs often; she doesn't like her food to touch; she loves Mr. Potato Head especially his hats; she is very smart, sort of scary-smart (Harvard - is that expensive?); she sleeps through the night without waking; she smells really really good; and she has delicate hands.

Does it bother me that she's more attached to my husband? Absolutely not. I'm happy she's making her way into our family in the manner she finds most comfortable. (Also, it makes up for the many, many times that Georgia preferred me to my husband).

Today we go back to the civil affairs office to finalize the documents that will lead to a passport and a visa for Song Song to travel home with us. Three days of paperwork and more travels through Middle Earth, then a week of waiting before receiving the documents, taking an oath at the U.S. Consulate, then travelling home.

Her name is Anna Song Song Marshall.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tears of joy all over my keyboard right now. Love Anna, love you all. - MCS

Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm crying. Big time crying. Joyful tears. I love the name Anna. So happy about this union. Listen, I can barely express myself this is so profound.

Big hugs to everyone!

I need to go sob in the shower now :)

Kym said...

Hey Leezer... Tim told me about this site tonight - I hadn't read it before. After reading all of this, and working my way up to the post from today, I am in tears. You are an absolute angel, and I am so happy reading your story and glad you shared with us. I can't wait to see pictures of Georgia and Anna together... I'm sure they are already the best of friends! Good luck with everything on your return trip... we will keep you in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Hi All, I'm so happy Anna Song Song is with you. I too started crying upon reading the post. She sounds PRECIOUS and I'm thrilled she is a part of all our lives. I can't wait to meet her! Oh, the idea of her falling asleep in Elliot's arms is the sweetest thing . . . XOXO, MCV

Anonymous said...

Tears of joy here too, not that there are many left. LOVE THE IMAGES, LOVE THE NAME, WILL LOVE THE GIRL! It is a red letter day.

Anonymous said...

Anna, what a perfectly beautiful name. I loved how you described your first meeting and day with her - I could hardly tell Tim without crying. We are so, so, so excited for you guys.

Christina said...

Wow. I'm speechless. And crying. Congratulations, I'm so glad you guys and Anna found each other!

Anonymous said...

Marsh,
Just catching up - so happy to hear the news, and that all is going well. Keep up the good work. MRK

Anonymous said...

I love happy endings! Welcome Anna, to Leezer's family. Be prepared to laugh... a lot.

Can't wait for part 3.

Lisa Armsweat said...

I'm crying, too!
Anna, you're going to have a fantastic and fun life. Congratulations to all of you! :)

Christina said...

Oh!! And now with a picture!! She is absolutely beautiful. I mean, breathtakingly so.

Anonymous said...

I didn't cry. I peed a little, which still counts becuase it is moisture.

I like how you kept her Chinese name as a middle name.

Cute, cute, cute. Plus, you didn't have to deal with all the night feeding and other infant B.S.

Congratulations. I'm so happy for you and your family!

booda baby said...

It's either a long, long note of joy and wonder and perfect families creating themselves or it's a simple:
Thanks.

I'm going to go with the latter.

Thanks.

Naynayfazz said...

Ooh, there is a picture now. Oh man, Leezer, she is GORGEOUS! I love her little feet. ha ha ha That is so exciting!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just checking in on Fathers Day!

What a wonderful family you've grown into!!

Anonymous said...

I'm late to the celebration, but I've been backward reading. And this post right here? Well, it's beautiful and perfect, every last word.

So happy for all of you.