Saturday, June 16, 2007

Guangzhou - Day Eight

The great thing about having a Chinese guide while we're here is being able to travel off the beaten path, away from the touristy spots. Yesterday we visited a Chinese herbal medicine market. If you've ever read Shakespeare's Macbeth, you'll recall the initial scene in which the three witches sit around a cauldron throwing weird stuff into it and agree to meet again to discuss Macbeth's fate. I think the witches probably shopped at a medicine market like this one.

The place smelled a little bit like a fish tank, made so much more fragrant by the stifling heat.

Tiger's feet apparently play a role in Chinese medicine, though I can't hazard a guess as to what it could possibly be. Each of these "paws" is probably about six inches across.

Right before I took this picture Georgia announced, "this is the last picture I'm going to pose for this year." Greta Garbo.
Sea horses, and
Centipedes, and

more centipedes. We then found a family that sold live scorpions who took a liking to Georgia. In Chinese they said, more or less, "You're beautiful. Look at those eyes. We like you. Here, have a a live scorpion." They put a big black scorpion in a Gatorade bottle and punched a hole in it with a knife. They handed the bottle to Georgia who looked at it for what it was - a poisonous crustacean. I asked the woman how long it would survive in the bottle. "Just throw it some meat now and then," was the response. Fortunately for Georgia a little Chinese boy asked her if he could have it and she said "Sure."

Check out the bottle in the middle of the front row of the following picture. Pickled snakes. Apparently they're used in Chinese wine. I hope not the Great Wall cabernet I've been buying at the 7-11 next to our hotel.


Cicadas.
We left the market a little less hungry than when we arrived.
In other news, Song Song can say, Mama, Dada, Gama, Jah Jah, and bye bye. She also bites and pinches. I didn't have to deal with that before. If anyone has any good advice regarding biting and pinching that doesn't involve child abuse, please let me know.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Outstanding photos! No advice on the biting and pinching, although she might be getting some molars so feel in her mouth for that. It could also be Chinese survival of the fittest at work. Beyond that, just say NO. Moparmamma and Georgia can be the heavies on that one. What a doll, she is! Keep it coming girl.

Anonymous said...

you have to figure out what reaction she is seeking when she bites and pinches, and then never ever never give the desired reaction. Or just bite and pinch her back, I've always found that works best in bar fights so why wouldn't it translate into the realm of raising children.

Anonymous said...

Picked snakes eh? Oh my. I am hoping that those tiger feet are from a time when they didn't know any better than to hunt tigers? I'd hate to think they get a fresh batch of those every few weeks.

My son bites. Me, in particular. There are all sorts of reasons and I honestly don't always have the time to figure him out, so I just keep my answer consistent. "NO BITING." Firm, not mean. It usually sends his lips pointing downward, eyes well up with tears, and he buries his face in my shoulder. "I know, you're sorry."

Sometimes, I follow up with something he can sink his teeth into. Like an apple.

If you do have the time to figure out the cause of the behavior, I've heard it ranges from stress, playfulness, misplaced love, and teething and then you can tailor your response to that (Still, NO BITING...then follow up with something that fits the situation).

Anonymous said...

P.S. I should have written the post above in past tense. Miles does not bite anymore (there, now I've just jinxed myself.)

I suspect it had more to do with him understanding us more and just moving on. Or he just liked the way it felt :)

Anonymous said...

This post rocked! Love the photos, and now I'm so excited to visit my sister in Shanghai! Seeing G with all those foreign creatures made me think how grand a time she and my G would have had at that market together. Can you even imagine??? We miss you! xoxoxo - MCS

Anonymous said...

The tiger paws are super freaky. I'm with Mae and am hoping that they are from 1850, not last week. Scary. The other photos are super fabulous. It appears Georgia could fly right over the bars around the pool?? Can't wait to see you all! MCV

Christina said...

I was doing alright until the pickled snakes. I can't even stomach pickled herring, so this is like a whole other level of gross. But awesome photos!

naynayfazz said...

Tigers feet, centipedes and pickled snakes...there goes breakfast!

I liked the pictures of your beautiful children a lot more. :)

booda baby said...

Native language/local guides are almost always a smart move. They seem like an indulgence to some, but no guide book can get you into the heart.

What a great day. Creepy, but great!

Mad Ethel said...

That market is out of this world! It's enchanting, almost, once you get past the nausea. :)